This time we are interviewing Giorgos Papoutsis, our Data Ingestion Associate. Giorgos has also joined the team quite recently, so he brought a bunch of fresh ideas in the data ingestion workflows that he is involved in, including the one of the AGRIS network. Giorgos took some time to respond to our questions, and we would like to thank him for that! You can find his responses right below:
1. You are one of the latest persons to join the Agro-Know team. Would you like to share some info on how you found us and what drew your attention in the Agro-Know job opening ?
As I was browsing the University of Patras website, I saw the description of a position at AK and I liked it. I looked for more information in the Agro-Know website, and specially on the section of the Agro-Know values, and it was, what we say, “love with first sight”. And that’s how the story begun…
2. What is your educational background and which is your current role in the Agro-Know team?
As a software engineer guy I attended 5 year studies at the Computer Engineer & Informatics Dpt (C.E.I.D.) in University of Patras,Greece. During my studies I implemented many projects with special interest in data aggregation. My thesis was on the information retrieval field titled “Top-key -web search engine results optimization“. I did my MSc. at Software and Hardware Integrated Systems in the same university.
My current role as the person responsible for the Data Ingestion is to support and maintain the Agro-Know Data Framework.
3. What do you find interesting in your work with Agro-Know so far? Do you see any challenges in your daily routine at the office?
In Agro-Know I feel like I am in a big family with a great ecosystem! A big family which has many challenging problems to face, so as a software engineer I have to solve them.
4. You are involved in data aggregation processes; are you currently working on something that you can share with us?
I always have something to aggregate…Now i am aggregating your file system! (just joking!). I have recently finished the FAO’s code migration for RDF triplification purposes.
5. What are your hobbies / How do you spend your free time?
I spend my free time mostly with my friends. I also like to play football and chess!
6. Where can we find you online?
7. Which was the last book you read / movie you watched?
My last book was the Witch of Portobello, by P.Coelio
8. What was the last gadget you bought and why you bought it?
My last gadget was a tablet because i had to test my Android app called “youdrinkeat” .
9. Anything else to share with us?
The youdrinkeat app. was made for my idea to share pictures with watermark in order to gain discount from restaurants or cafes. I would like to mention that there is also a youdrinkeat web site in which you can apply not only image watermark but also image filtering.
The youdrinkeat business plan had four months scholar from the Hellenic General Secretariat of Youth Generation program “Entrepreneurship Hubs”. It is also made a presentation of the idea at Astir Patras Hotel in front of George Kremlis, a director of European Commision and Panagiotis Kanelopoulos General Director of the Hellenic General Secretariat of Youth Generation. You can watch the presentation at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz8gj8XbjBU
We would like to thank Giorgos for taking the time to respond to our questions and wish him all the best for his new adventures in Agro-Know!