The Herbal.Mednet project is holding its 5th (and last) meeting between 4 & 5 of December 2014, at the premises of University of Alcala, in beautiful Alcala de Henares, Spain. The aim of this meeting is to discuss about the progress of the project so far and of course to ensure that all aspects of the project are properly handled and that everything will be delivered on time and according to the specifications defined in the project’s proposal. Agro-Know is represented at the meeting by Andreas Drakos who is closely following the project almost from its first steps and coordinates all Agro-Know contributions in the project.
For those not familiar with the project, Herbal.Mednet aims to fill existing gaps identified in the field of training in organic agriculture by promoting the cooperation between various actors in this process and to facilitate the work of trainers by implementing an online training platform about organic farming of medicinal and aromatic plants.
This platform is agriMoodle, a custom version of the popular, open-source Moodle platform which contains a number of components specifically developed in order to enhance the existing Moodle functionalities by developing & integrating the following components:
- A metadata editor for describing the courses and material inside each course with educational metadata based on the IEEE LOM standard;
- A mechanism for the automatic translation of metadata in additional languages, re-using the approach developed in the context of the Organic.Lingua project;
- A widget for the search and retrieval of related educational resources from predefined repositories of educational resources;
- A component adding an OAI-PMH functionality to the agriMoodle installations, for the exposure of the metadata records through this widely used standard;
- Several other customizations, including green themes.
agriMoodle is developed by Agro-Know and is available as open-source software through GitHub; you can let us know in case you are interested in setting up your own agriMoodle installation and/or customizing it so that we can help you. You can also find a working version of agriMoodle here.