Those registered in the Global Food Safety Partnership (GFSP) mailing list must have received the first issue of the GFSP digital newsletter; a publication intended to be published quarterly, highlighting news and events related to the Partnership and its members.
The newsletter is nicely divided in four sections, namely Features, Voices, News and Updates (both from GFSP Secretariat and our partners) and Events.
In this first issue, the major news items are:
- GFSP Delivers First Laboratory Capacity Building Training Course at the Joint Institute for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition (JIFSAN) (a GFSP partner that our CEO Nikos Manouselis visited some months ago);
- Coordinated GFSP Action and Messaging with WHO on World Health Day;
- Online Discussion on Improving Food Safety Highlights Key Issues: Aflatoxins Management, Food Security, Food Bio-terrorism, Capacity Building and Training (an e-discussion that we also promoted through our blog some weeks ago)
The newsletter also features two interviews with researchers working on food safety as well as a detailed list of GFSP-related events.
We were also glad to see that Agro-Know was featured in this first issue of the GFSP newsletter, as one of the Two Leading Technology Companies the Joined the GFSP (PDF). Even though Agro-Know is something much more than a typical Tech Company and its contributions in GFSP are rather far away from that, we received this as an acknowledgement of our work in GFSP so far.
The role of Agro-Know in GFSP
Agro-Know is an active contributor of GFSP and throughout its participation has already worked on the following (this is only an indicative list):
- joined the Leadership Group of GFSP;
- was one of the first members that contributed significantly to the Knowledge and Learning Systems Working Group (KLSWG);
- developed the GFSP Open Source Platform for Food Safety Capacity Building (and organized a hands-on session on the platform);
- organized a session aiming to raise the awareness of stakeholders in GFSP during the 1st GODAN CIARD Consultation meeting (link currently unavailable)
- attended various GFSP meetings, including the GFSP 2014 conference and the Global Food Safety Partnership meeting at Aarhus, Denmark;
Even though you can directly access the 1st issue of the GFSP newsletter here, we believe that it would be better if you registered for the newsletter (as well as the mails circulated through the GFSP mailing list) by submitting your contact details in this short form.
The Global Food Safety Partnership is a unique public-private initiative dedicated to improving the safety of food in middle-income and developing countries. It brings together fishers and farmers, business and industry, governments, regulatory bodies, international development organizations, and civil society to drive a globally-coordinated and locally-driven food safety approach.
GFSP combines food safety training and technical support so developing countries can improve their food safety systems and benefit from better compliance with food safety standards. Tailored to the specific needs of individual countries and segmented to reach all the way up, down and across the food value chain, the Partnership benefits small farmers, food processors, retailers, supervisory and regulatory agencies, and policy-makers, among others.
GFSP is a partnership that includes the range of interested public agencies and private sector companies. By creating a forum for open and frank dialogue we uncover and address constraints to improved food safety. GFSP builds consensus on the business value and public benefit of increased alignment on international food safety standards.