Well, I have been complaining for quite some time (weeks? months? years?) that others don’t do things the way I would do them, and they might claim that they are doers, but they simply don’t do things in the beautiful, unique, amazing way that I would do them.
It seems that nobody believed me. And I have decided to prove it. This is why, at the end of the month, we will start a new thing in Agro-Know that we call “Hire the Boss”. Simply put, this is going to be half a day every month during which I will be working FOR someone in the company (instead of having them working for me). This means that they will have to create some working space next to them, delegate to me one of their tasks, and then review my progress. And they can give me any task that they want, as long as I can implement it and I can help them do something that they really need help with – or something that completely bores them 😉
This is not going to be as simple as it sounds: I expect people to be very well prepared about the task that they want to give me, treating me like a new hire that knows nothing about the company and that they want to try through a testing period. Our HR will ask people to submit a job offer, with a clear description of the task they have in mind and of how it fits their work in a way that will help them solve a real and pressing problem. And every month our HR team will evaluate these job offers and select one that seems to be most important and urgent for the company – with the simple rule that every Agro-Know’er can hire me only once per year.
Before the hiring session, I want people to think about and plan ahead so that when I go there they can welcome me and explain to me:
– what they generally do in their job and how it relates to the goals of the company
– the assigned task and how it fits to their overall activities
– how the assignment that they will give me fits what I can do as a person and professional
– how delegating it will help them better do their work
– what is the expected deliverable so that they let me go home
– by which criteria they will evaluate me in the performance report they will submit to the HR
So what do you think? Would you hire the boss?